Steps To Prevent Accidents:
- Have a competent person knowledgeable and trained in traffic control measures review your setup.
- Consider completely closing off roadway, not just a lane. Also, remember concrete barriers are safer than plastic barrels.
- Use proper traffic control measures including: use of concrete barriers, reflective barricades, lighted warning signs, wearing of hi-viz reflective vests, providing plenty of lighting during low-light or night conditions. Also, provide flagmen with devices that increase their visibility to approaching vehicles. A tool that has proven effective is the lighted slow/stop paddle.
- Areas shall include: advanced warning area; tapered transition area; buffer space; activity area; tapered termination area.
- Have a supervisor or competent person evaluate the effectiveness of your traffic control setup.
- When working near moving vehicles ALWAYS check before stepping out into their path of travel.