Asbestos is a regulated substance that can only be sampled, removed, altered,
repaired and transported by Licensed contractors. ALKS
What is Asbestos?
- Asbestos is a mineral fiber that was commonly used until the early 80’s for many building products including insulation products and fire-retardant products.
Where is Asbestos Found?
- Asbestos can be found in older building materials like: pipe insulation or wrap, certain types of asphalt, vinyl floor tiles, ceiling tiles, exterior house tiles, fireproofing, boiler wrap, paper duct wrap, caulk, roofing materials, fire doors, wall materials, adhesive backing, cement shake siding, pipe gaskets, mastics, etc.
Why is it dangerous?
- Asbestos has been proven to cause several diseases including: Asbestosis, Lung Cancer and Mesothelioma. All three of these diseases can be fatal.
How can you Protect Yourself at Work?
- If you come across a possible Asbestos release STOP & notify management!
- The area will need to be cordoned off so a knowledgeable party can identify if the product is asbestos containing and initiate abatement or encapsulation.
- Plan your work to avoid damaging Asbestos containing materials or making particles airborne.