Category: Toolbox Talks
Steps To Prevent Accidents
1) Have a competent person knowledgeable and trained in traffic control measures
advise your setup.
2) Consider completely closing off roadway not just a lane. Also remember concrete
barriers are safer than plastic barrels.
3) Use proper traffic control measures including: Use of Concrete Barriers, Reflective
Barricades, Lighted Warning signs, Wearing of Hi-Viz reflective vests, providing
plenty of lighting during low-light or night conditions. Also provide flagmen with
devices that increase their visibility to approaching vehicles. An tool that has
proven effective is the lighted Slow/Stop paddle.
4) Areas shall include: Advanced Warning Area; Tapered Transition Area; Buffer
Space; Activity Area; Tapered Termination Area.
5) Have a supervisor or competent person evaluate the effectiveness of your traffic
6) When working near moving vehicles ALWAYS check before stepping out into their
path of travel.