injuries, with extension cords each year. Additional 3,300 incidents involve
residential fire,originating from extension cords.
What causes these injuries? Short circuits, overloading, damage and/ or
misuse of extension cords. Below you will find some tips for safe extension
Extension Cord Safety
• DO NOT use extension cords as permanent wiring.
• DO NOT use if any electrical prong is missing. If missing
replace the entire plug.
• Use extension cords with a GFCI device.
• Even 120V can cause heart failure
• Use extension cords with correct rating for equipment
in use. Rule of thumb, the diameter of the extension
cord should be the same or bigger then the cord of the
• When cords are not in use, roll up and store out of
• Keep electrical cords away from areas where they may
be pinched or case tripping hazards (ex: doorways,
• ALWAYS inspect cords prior to use!
Confirm That You’ve Viewed the Changes
in your inbox
We’ve made some changes/updates to the 2018 employee handbook and need you to acknowledge that you’ve seen these changes.
Thank you for reviewing!
Something went wrong.